Understanding Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery-Procedure, Results, Recovery, Cost and Why India
What is Obesity?
WHO defines “overweight and obesity as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that presents a risk to health” Obesity has been declared a disease, it is simply not just result of overeating, obesity is an illness that adversely affects all aspects of an individual’s life. The risk of diseases like diabetes, hypertension etc. increases many folds for individuals who are overweight.
In simple words, an individual with BMI of 30 or more is considered obese and an individual with BMI of 25 or above is considered overweight. But if the BMI is above 40, it is considered as chronic obesity. BMI can be calculated by the following formula:
BMI till 32 is a controllable stage that can be managed with strict diet and exercises but in cases of BMI above 40, it is quite difficult to lose weight even with strict diet, exercise or other weightloss measures. This situation can only be best managed with Bariatric surgery.
Bariatric surgery or commonly known as weight loss surgery works on the principle of minium and appropriate food and thus maximum weight loss. It includes a variety of surgical procedures that makes the stomach smaller and sometimes changes the small intestine. It can be the best way to get rid of extra fat deposits for the individuals with following conditions:
- BMI 40 or above
- BMI 35 or more with chronic or life threatening health condition that is related to weight like type 2 diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, heart disease etc.
- Unsuccessfully tried all other ways of weight loss
Gastric Bypass Surgery
One of the most commonly performed and highly successful weight loss surgeries is gastric bypass surgery. In normal digestion process, food passes through stomach and reaches small intestine. In small intestine most of the nutrients and calories are absorbed. The gastric bypass surgery makes the stomach smaller and causes food to bypass part of the small intestine. This results in early feeling of fullness with less food at one time as compared to the amount of food taken originally. As a part of intestine is bypassed, less food and nutrients are absorbed leading to dramatic weight loss.
Gastric Bypass Surgery- The Procedure
Gastric bypass surgery can be performed either as an open surgery that is done through a large incision in the belly or as a laparoscopic procedure through various small incisions.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia in following two steps:
- In the first step, stomach is made smaller by using staples to divide it into a small upper section (about the size of a walnut) and a larger bottom section. The upper smaller section or pouch will receive the food and can hold only about 1 ounce (oz) of food. This smaller size results in less eating and early filling of the stomach.
- In the second step, the upper smaller section or pouch is connected to a small part of the small intestine (the jejunum) through a small hole. This makes a new route for the food from the pouch to the small intestine. This results in less absorption of calories and ultimately weight loss.
Recovery After Gastric Bypass
Gastric Bypass in India is done laparoscopically. However, you would stay at the hospital for about 3-4 days under medical supervision to make sure you are healing well. It is normal to experience some pain and discomfort after the surgery which can be controlled with medications.
You can start routine activities after a week to ten days after the surgery while exercises and heavy work would need to wait for 6-8 weeks.
Results of Gastric Bypass
As the surgery makes a new and smaller route for the food, the person eats only small amounts of food and body also absorbs much less calories. This will result in up to 70 % (two-third) weight loss within two years of the surgery. In fact this weight loss can also be maintained with proper diet, exercise and lifestyle changes.
Benefits of Gastric Bypass
- Gastric bypass surgery results in almost 60-70% reduction in body weight within the first two years
- Long term weight loss that is easy to maintain
- Improves the disorders or reduces the risk of disorders that may occur due to obesity like diabetes, hypertension etc.
- Produces favorable changes in gut hormones that reduces appetite and enhances satiety
- Improves metabolism and quality of life of the person
- Weight loss results in increased energy level and confidence of the person
Bariatric Surgery in India
Bariatric surgery is fast emerging as a vital addition to medical tourism. It has become one of the main reasons for people to travel outside their country- weight loss surgery at an affordable cost. This is because the cost of bariatric surgery in India is much affordable whereas the cost of bariatric surgery most of the western countries is very high and it is usually not covered under insurance.
India is the ideal destination for all the obese patients from any part of the globe. The reasons for choosing India are:
- World-class, experienced, skilled & well qualified bariatric surgeons who can easily perform all types of open and laparoscopic weight loss surgeries
- Availability of latest and best in class technology enabled equipment for bariatric surgery
- Most affordable treatment without any compromise on the quality
- Extremely safe and effective weight loss services
- Main emphasis on comfort and care of the patient
- No waiting time for the surgery
- Long list of successful patients from various regions of the world who underwent bariatric surgery in India and now happily refer others too to choose India for weight loss surgery
- Exceptional pre and post treatment care
- Detailed guidance to patients about the diet habits, nutritional requirements as well as exercise routine required to maintain the perfect physique years after surgery
- Relaxing vacation in the exotic natural beauty of India
Gastric Bypass Cost in India
The cost of Gastric Bypass in India is much affordable as compared to the cost of the surgery anywhere else in the world. It starts from around USD 6000 and varies with the surgeon, facility and the city where you choose to get it done.
Why choose IndiCure as your medical tourism companion?
It is quite understandable that undergoing surgery itself is a tough decision and if you have to travel abroad for surgery, it can become overwhelming.
But this can be worth the effort and time if you are sure of safety, quality of care and reliability. IndiCure assures you all this and more.
IndiCure is the most renowned medical tourism company and one-stop destination for a smooth, economical and successful medical experience in India. We work to provide most affordable and best treatment to our clients from the specialized doctors who are associated with the top-of-the-line hospitals that have unmatched infrastructure in terms of excellent healthcare amenities.
We help patients coming from foreign countries in obtaining medical visa, preparing documents, arranging appointments and stay, facilitating transportation for medical care etc. Our commitment begins from arrangement of Visa and continues even after you go back and need any sort of assistance.
Allow us to assist you in your journey to well-being with medial tourism to India. Call us at +91- 932-003-6777 (India number) or US Toll Free +1-877-270-2448 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to us at Skype @ Indicure